THE HAPPY VIKING

THE HAPPY VIKING
Handcrafted Leather

Saturday 8 February 2014

The 'Other' Side of Business

Well, I can see why some people hire someone else to do their marketing!  It certainly takes a lot of time!!! :)

Finding a balance between making products and actually getting them out there is definitely tricky but I'm so glad for this world of technology.  Although it takes up a lot of time to do all the social media and networking, I wonder how on earth people used to do business before the internet!

Over the past few days I've spent many hours adding to and sorting out my Etsy shop, Pinterest, Facebook page and starting this blog.  I'm grateful that I get enjoyment out of this side of my business though.  Before deciding to "follow my bliss" and starting my own business, I worked in a Secretarial/Admin position for more than 20 years and always liked being creative with computers - designing forms, presentations and all that. And now, starting this blog, I guess is bringing out another thing that I love to do - which is writing.

Sometimes I wonder though how much time other people spend on this side of their business.  I see some artists pumping out products but I always come back to the thought that there's no point in making a thousand things if no one is seeing them.  And so I continue trying to find the balance and the perfect way to get my work out there.

This week I'll be going to a networking event run by 'Enlightened Goddesses'.  I'm really looking forward to making new connections and hopefully learning some tricks of the trade.  :)

During the week I finished off an order for a custom made pair of Legolas Arm Vambraces that have gone to Washington and will be worn at a Lord of the Rings event!  They were fun to work on and I was really happy with how they turned out.


I also made a cute little pouch that was inspired by seeing a brooch from Norway (9th Century), Hatteberg.


During the week I've also been working on designs for a replica Swedish pouch, a Medieval dog collar and a Byzantine belt. I'll post photos of those when I've done a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment